This recipe was another spontaneous bake, I was going to make a chocolate mousse but I needed egg whites. So I decided to make some eggless brownies instead. This recipe can be made vegan, with a vegan alternative for butter, and by using vegan chocolate (which is delicious and I can’t tell the difference between non-vegan and vegan chocolate).
Eggless brownies is a quick and easy alternative if you do find yourself wanting to bake, but not having any eggs to make most basic cake recipes.
50g plain flour
120g unsalted butter softened
90g cocoa powder
200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa is best)
400g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
260g plain flour
2 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350F/180C/gas 4. Grease and line a 19 x 19 x 3cm pan.
2. In a saucepan mix together 50g of flour and the water. Cook over medium heat and stir until it forms a thick paste. Scoop the paste into a mixing bowl and set aside to completely cool.
3. In a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water melt the chocolate, then set aside to cool.
4. In a small saucepan over a low heat melt the butter. Now beat the sugar and vanilla into the flour- water mixture. Stir in the cocoa powder, melted chocolate, and melted butter until completely combined. In a separate bowl mix together the 260g of flour, baking powder and salt, fold into the wet mixture until evenly mixed
5. Spread the batter evenly in the baking pan. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the eggless brownie, comes out clean. Cool before cutting into bars.
6. Completely cool on a wire rack before turning the brownie out cutting into squares.