Most weekends the family and I have a Saturday film night, usually with the same brand of microwave popcorn. But I desperately wanted to try something new and exciting. I then after scouring the internet found a Scotland-based company called Mackie’s Crisps, and so I found that they had released a range of popcorn in 2016. What drew me even further into wanting to ask for some of their popcorn was that they had a Scotch Bonnet Chilli Pepper flavoured popcorn. If you know me then you will know that I love spicy things! Here’s my Mackie’s Popcorn review; plus a Rocky Road recipe made with the popcorn.
The actual delivery of the popcorn was super quick, it was at my door within a few days of asking for the popcorn.This was a massive bonus as I was dying to try some. I received the flavours, Scotch Bonnet Chilli Pepper, Lightly Sea Salted, Butterscotch, and Sweet and Salted.
The Scotch Bonnet Chilli popcorn was my favourite overall and it wasn’t overly hot so I could enjoy snacking on it (shoving handfuls in my mouth because it is delicious), however personally my least favourite was the Butterscotch as I’m not really a sweet popcorn kind of gal, but this went down well with other people that tried it. A big benefit of this popcorn is that the popcorn flavours are all either vegan or vegetarian-friendly, which meant more people can enjoy Mackie’s Crisps popcorn.
I do enjoy a bit of creative design on packaging, as it just makes the product look more enjoyable. I noticed the fun designs on the packaging such as the peppers on the Scotch Bell Pepper Chilli Popcorn, and the little anchors on the Lightly Sea Salted Popcorn. The packaging is well designed and really quite pretty.
With two of the popcorn flavours, I made a popcorn Rocky Road. I also made some caramel shards with the popcorn which is optional but I will put the recipe below also.
200g milk chocolate
200g dark chocolate
50g Scotch Bonnet Chilli Pepper Popcorn (or another flavour)
50g Sweet and Salted Popcorn
100g mixed nuts chopped
100g milk chocolate drops
For the caramel popcorn:
150g caster sugar
3 tbsp water
A handful of your favourite flavour of Mackie’s Crisps popcorn
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water stirring occasionally.
2. Place the chopped mixed nuts on a baking tray and place in the oven for 5 minutes until toasted.
3. Line a 20cm x 18cm baking tin with greaseproof paper.
4. Mix together the melted chocolate, chocolate chips, roasted nuts, and the popcorn together until mixed evenly. Pour the mix into the baking tin and chill in the fridge until set, this will take around half an hour.
5. To make the popcorn caramel line a baking tray with baking parchment and spread the handful of popcorn on the tray evenly but in a small space of the tray. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over a medium heat.
6. Don’t stir the caramel until the sugar-water mix turns a pale yellow, this will be after it bubbles for a while. Once it has gone a yellowish colour continuously stir until the caramel is a golden brown. Now pour this over the popcorn, place in the fridge until set.
7. Remove the Rocky Road from the fridge and cut into sections, snap up the caramel popcorn into pieces.
The popcorn overall is really tasty and I really enjoyed working with it, if you liked this review be sure to follow Mackie’s Crisps on their social media below.
Mackie’s Crisps Social Media:
I received this product for free in return for providing my honest and unbiased review. I received no other compensation for the review of this product.