A while ago Oppo Ice Cream kindly sent me some vouchers to get some of their ice cream to do a review for them. Also to come up with a funky recipe to use their ice cream in. This did take longer than expected because we had the kitchen refitted, and I wanted to make this review special. Many thanks to Oppo for being patient with this review.
I brought their “Salted Caramel Ice Cream” it is super delicious! It is smooth and creamy, and only 38 calories per scoop. The ice cream has a maple flavour to start with, then a gorgeous salted caramel flavour comes through. It is definitely worth a try.
I decided to make a “freakshake” using Oppo Ice Cream because I have been seeing freakshakes all over my Instagram feed, and my Pinterest. Each one crazier and more over the top than the one before it. This is a tamer version of a freakshake, but this recipe can be adapted to use whatever flavour Oppo Ice Cream you would like, and the toppings you would like too. Instead of brownies, you could put mini doughnuts on it, or even little fairy cakes. Whatever takes your fancy really!
Onto the recipe, I used a whole carton of Salted Caramel Ice Cream from Oppo to make sure my freakshake was thick enough to hold up the toppings. For the brownie recipe, this is the eggless brownies recipe from my last blog post.
Salted Caramel Freakshake
For the Brownies (makes 1 pan of brownies);
50g plain flour
120g unsalted butter softened
90g cocoa powder
200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa is best)
400g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
260g plain flour
2 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
For the milkshake:
One carton of Oppo Salted Caramel Ice Cream
260ml whole milk
2 tbsp caramel sauce (optional)
For the toppings:
A handful of salted caramel pretzels
A handful of mini marshmallows
100g melted dark chocolate to drizzle
Can of squirty cream
A few strawberries
Any other optional toppings
2 red and white long straws
1. Start by making the brownies so they can cool. Pre-heat your oven to 350F/180C/gas 4. Grease and line a 19 x 19 x 3cm pan. In a saucepan mix together 50g of flour and the water. Cook over medium heat and stir until it forms a thick paste. Scoop the paste into a mixing bowl and set aside to completely cool.
2. In a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water melt the chocolate, then set aside to cool. In a small saucepan over a low heat melt the butter. Now beat the sugar and vanilla into the flour- water mixture. Stir in the cocoa powder, melted chocolate, and melted butter until completely combined. In a separate bowl mix together the 260g of flour, baking powder and salt, fold into the wet mixture until evenly mixed
3. Spread the batter evenly in the baking pan. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the eggless brownie, comes out clean. Completely cool on a wire rack before turning the brownie out cutting into squares. Set aside the best piece to top the freakshake with.
4. Take half of the melted chocolate and drizzle around the inside of your favourite jar or glass. Pop in the freezer so the chocolate sets in a pattern.
5. To make the Salted Caramel Ice Cream milkshake; scoop a carton of Oppo Ice Cream into a blender, add the milk, and caramel sauce if adding. Blend until smooth.
6. Pour the milkshake into the jar/glass patterned with chocolate drizzle, squirt a generous amount of squirty cream on the top to hold the toppings.
7. Top with salted caramel pretzels, mini marshmallows, strawberries, and a slice of brownie. Also, add any other toppings you have chosen, drizzle over the other half of the melted chocolate on top. Place the straws into the milkshake.
Many thanks to Oppo Ice Cream for my vouchers!
Oppo social media: