Now that summer time is slowly rolling around, it’s time to break out the fresher more summery recipes. My mum found this recipe for strawberry granita that can be adapted using other summer fruits and flavours such as lemons, raspberries, and mint. Granita is a much healthier alternative to ice cream, so it’s both delicious and you can eat lots more of it. Win-win, right?
I also kept behind some strawberries for decoration, I sliced the strawberries into circles and placed them on top. To create a bit more height you could cut the strawberries in quarters and stand them up on top of the granita.
400g strawberries + extra for serving
1 and 1/2 pints of diet lemonade
6 tablespoons of fake sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
1. Chop the strawberries into quarters and blitz in a food processor until smooth.
2. Add the lemonade, sugar, and vanilla extract, blitz again until combined.
3. Pour the mixture into freezer tubs and freeze for 2 hours then fork the granita through to break up the ice crystals.
4. Freeze for a further hour and fork the granita through again. If it is too frozen to scrape then you can put this in the fridge for an hour or two to defrost and try again. Before serving scrape through the granita to break it up.
5. Serve the granita with fresh strawberries.